Frequently Asked Questions
How do I set up a Session?
You either email me with your choice of Study Session, date, and time or use the Booking link. I will confirm the Booking and send an email to request information on Your Project (for example, working on responding in class discussion or preparing for a presentation or reviewing an assignment or requesting an evaluation of a paper**).
How do I pay for the Session?
When I respond to the Initial Email or your Booking, I will verify the necessary details.
You will also receive PayPal Invoice from PayPal for payment by credit card or bank account. A PayPal account is not required to make payment.
Financial Aid is available.
What is the cancellation policy?
Sessions are pre-paid through PayPal. All cancellations must be made by email to me prior to 24 hours before the Session is scheduled. No refunds are available if the cancellation is made in the 24 hours prior to the scheduled Session.
Depending on the circumstances, the missed Session may be re-scheduled without additional cost.
Can I see you teach so I can see if we might "click"?
Yes. Although the presentations on Vimeo are in a lecture format and that is not the engagement that would be part of a Session in this program, they will give you a chance to observe and listen to my diction and tone.
The videos can be accessed here.
**What are the "Details" about a Paper Review that are referenced above?
See the Paper Criteria Link for more specific details.
1. Papers must be forwarded to Lois by email in either Word or PDF format at least 5 days before the scheduled Session. Hand-written work is not acceptable.
2. Papers are to be double-spaced with 1" margins on all sides.
3. Papers are reviewed for the following: organization and logical sequencing of the argument, grammar, punctuation, word choice, spelling, clarity of thesis sentence, wordiness, and the effectiveness of opening and closing paragraphs.
4. The Participant understands and agrees that the paper is NOT reviewed for accuracy of the content or the correctness of citations.
Are there any specific grammar issues that you can address?
Knowledge of the following four areas will greatly improve your writing or oral presentations:
1. Use of subordinate clauses and their punctuation.
2. Use of conjunctive adverbs and their punctuation.
3. Use of appropriate phrases to incorporate authorities so that the paper is not one endless string of indented citations (which most folks skip anyway).
In addition, mastering the use of transitional sentences and strong opening and closing statements will give your writing a superior polish.
If I have further questions or if issues come up in the Session, are you willing to respond to my concerns?
Yes. Please send me an email detailing your questions or clarifying an issue. I will respond either in a phone call or email as appropriate.
The Sessions are for you and they need to work for you.
I want to see you succeed.
How are the Sessions initiated?
The Sessions are conducted through Video conferencing.
The choice of the platform is yours: FaceTime or Zoom.
If you choose Zoom, I send you an email with a link to the Session which you will access for the Session.
If you choose FaceTime, I will initiate the Sessions on FaceTime.
Other platforms are possible.